Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hear Barb at Salvo

One of the funnest things I get to do once a quarter is talk to Bobby Maddox at Salvo magazine, and wax happily opinionated about whatever happens to be in my frontal lobe. The interviews are going to be extracted in several issues of the magazine, but also will be available in their full, long-winded glory as podcasts.

They just got the first one up from our discussion after the Oscars. You can listen to it here.

We talk about Boomers fading and Gen Xers ascending in Hollywood, Juno and whether last year was really a "pro-life" year for American cinema, and my thoughts on There Will be Blood and the Coen brothers. There is also way too much about Bella as a movement and not a movie in the middle - I guess I was having a weak moment. (It will be an immense relief to some of you that there is nothing on the podcast about Battlestar Galactica and Katee Sackhoff. But if I have any say about the next quarter, (say it with me in Kobol Scripture speak) all of my BSG thoughts that have been uttered before will all be uttered again. Stay tuned.)

My favorite quote of vintage moi from the podcast is...

"Ironically, we have filmmakers (like the Coen brothers) who are astoundingly adept and committed to pursuing wholeness and harmony from a craft standpoint - that is the elements of the beautiful - but they are doing it in the service of what Cardinal Schonborn of Austria named recently, "an aesthetic of ugliness." So we have artists working really hard to give us the most beautiful picture of the ugly."



Anyway, check it out. I think it is pretty fun.

No comments: